Monday, January 15, 2018

Celebration: Stencil Techniques


Happy Monday Friends!
I have completed the first two classes of the Altenew Educator Certification Program (AECP). This next class is on stencil techniques. I do not own very many stencils at all so my choices were limited. I decided on a simple diamond stencil. Laurel Beard, our instructor for this course, had some great tips for various ways to use stencils and even how to create one; in the end I selected the stencil and paste technique.



Supplies used:
Four Scoops re-inker set
Celebrations Stamp Set
Liquitex Modeling Paste
Neenah Solar White 80# cardstock.
Foam Tape

  1. First I taped the stencil to an A2 cardstock panel (it is best to tape on the back side of paper to stencil-this will ensure you don’t cover any of your front with tape).
  2. I secured this to my craft mat to protect my work surface.
  3. I scooped about 1/2 a teaspoon of paste onto my craft mat for each of the three colors: Cotton Candy, Mango Smoothie, Peach Perfect.
  4. I then mixed about 3 drops of each ink into the respective paste sections. The colors are so vibrant this way!
  5. I added the paste over the stencil, spreading the mixture evenly. The texture and dimension this gives is beautiful!
  6. Immediately wash your stencil and other tools used before the paste dries.
  7. Once the panel was dry I cut it in half (2.75 in.) and glued to an 4.25x6.5 card base leaving a 1 inch space in the center. 
  8. I then added my sentiment on the blank center area of the panel.
  9. Because there was already so much color I chose to stamp and cut the floral bouquets and not color them. I think it went well with the sentiment and really stood out.
  10. I adhered the bouquets, one flat, one popped up with foam tape.



Here is a 2nd card I made because I had plenty of paste left.

This was a fun technique that I am sure I will use again and again.

Thank you for stopping by! Michelle

3 comments:

  1. How wonderfully textured, and beautiful colors, too, Michelle!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous textures with the DIY stencil paste! I love the colorful vibe in this, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete