Wednesday, February 21, 2018

AECP Level II-Magical Marker Techniques

Hello Friends.
Sharing my alcohol marker project. I learned quite a lot. I have a few alcohol markers, not Altenew nor Copics, but they did not play too friendly with alcohol on the colored image. Weird I know--alcohol based marker should mix with alcohol. I scribbled the ink onto an acrylic block, but once I sprayed the ink with alcohol it would not move. It’s like it adhered to the block. I had to scrub a bit to get it off. I’m sharing this in case someone else runs into the same issue.
After some playing and experimenting I found something that worked. I sprayed the alcohol onto the block first and then used a watercolor brush to apply it onto my paper and then put the marker to the paper. As you will see by my image, I used the stippling technique to add interest and to blend the colors.
 Another technique I learned/tried was using a stencil to add outlined images to the background. I created this stencil by die cutting the same image several times onto a sheet of paper and then used that sheet to outline the images onto my panel. I then colored the images in pale gray so as not to distract from the main image.

I then popped up the colored image onto a smaller die cut panel and adhered to the center. For the sentiment, I used one included in this Altenew Succulents set. 
When I do get some Altenew markers I will try this technique again. If you’ve ever experienced what I did, I’d love to hear how you handled it.
Thank you for stopping by and for commenting-it brightens my day! Michelle

4 comments:

  1. The stencil background technique is fabulous, Michelle. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the textures on the cactus! I love that you share your process, Michelle! I have not tried that with Alcohol markers yet, so it is very good to know. This is such a delightful card thanks to your fab coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia! I am going to get a different brand of alcohol markers-I’m hoping it works the way it did for Susan Naumann in the video. :)

      Delete